Labour believes in the social model of disability. It is society which disables people by creating barriers. It is our job to remove those barriers.
- The Labour government will sign the UN Convention on the Rights of Disabled Persons into UK law.
- The Labour government will act to tackle discrimination, remove barriers and ensure social security delivers dignity and empowerment, not isolation and stigma.
- The Labour government will legislate to make terminal illness a protected characteristic under the Equality Act.
- The Labour government will work with employers, trade unions and public services to improve awareness of neurodiversity in the workplace and in society.
- The Labour government will give British Sign Language full recognition as a recognised language.
Here is a PDF file showing the Party’s top target constituencies in England and Wales together with the number of disabled people and unpaid carers who stated they were living there in the last Census. They are shocking – disabled voters alone could make the difference between winning and losing this General Election. (We are currently working on Scottish target seats.)
We need to get disabled Party members visibly campaigning in these constituencies, whether on online, on the streets or by telephone.
We have strong messages for disabled people. They would have an even bigger impact if shared by disabled people!